Tuesday 24 April 2012

Vegan, GF, Sugar-free Chocolate Chip Cookies

These cookies are delicious! I haven't had any luck making gluten-free cookies and haven't really tried. The few times I made them, they were too liquid-y and sticky and when I put them in the oven, they just spread into each other over the entire cookie sheet.
Today I was craving chocolate chip cookies like crazy, so I went through my bookmarks and I found this recipe and decided to try it out.

I made a few changes to suit what I had in the house and what suited my needs. I try to eat sugar-free whenever possible, so I skipped the sugar and used agave instead of maple sugar, adding an extra half-tablespoon. I also don't have any grapeseed oil or safflower oil in the house so I decided to use coconut oil instead. Worked like a charm! I also ran out of tapioca starch the other day, so I subbed that for arrowroot powder and used the entire 1/4 cup of potato starch. I used 1/2 cup of sorghum and omitted the brown rice flour. If I wasn't in such a hurry to eat cookies, I would have ground up some almonds in my mini grinder to use almond flour. I basically remade the recipe, so here is my version:

Ingredients
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 tsp xanthum gum
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup + 1 tsp agave
1 1/12 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate chunks

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix dry ingredients, stir.
3. Add wet ingredients one by one and stir to combine. Batter will be thick and very yummy looking.
4. Fold in chocolate chips and allow dough to sit for at least 10 minutes or longer to thicken up.
5. Drop by tablespoon full onto a greased cookie pan and bake for 10 minutes.
6. Remove cookies from oven and allow to sit for a few minutes. They will continue to cook once out of the oven, so don't worry if they look a bit underdone.

No comments:

Post a Comment